Friday, July 23, 2010

Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile [and bike]

Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da here I am... the only Bike & Build trip in St. Paul, Minnesota.


The last week has been incredible. It was the week I was looking forward to all trip, and it really exceeded everything I hoped it would be.


We arrived into Janesville on Friday afternoon around 1:45 pm. And by "we", I mean myself, Kate Terry, and Andrew Corcoran. We were the only ones who forfeited an amazing  three-hour game of sand volleyball at lunch in southeastern Wisconsin to face headwinds on our way into town. Our ride into Janesville started in Grayslake, Illinois and was 75 miles of wind and hills. I had no idea Wisconsin is as hilly as it is until we crossed that stateline. While the ride itself wasn't the best I've had, the sheer excitement to see my parents, Kate's family, my roommates, and my boyfriend made the miles much more tolerable. To think I had just biked my way from the east coast to my hometown is still something I haven't totally grasped yet.


That night, the team stayed at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Janesville, while I enjoyed the more plush accommodations of my own bed. My parents were anxious to meet the whole team and offered up our backyard for a great evening of s'mores, fire, and mosquito bites. Then, to my embarrassment, and the whole team's amazement, my father decided to perform the Maori "Haka". See this video if you're unsure what that is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMCAV6Yd0Y.


The next day, we had a much anticipated build day. It was such a tremendous experience for all of us, and it felt really good to be doing something positive in the place that I grew up. The Janesville Gazette showed up to the site and took pictures and decided to make Bike & Build their front page cover story! I feel like a celebrity now :) Link to story: http://gazettextra.com/news/2010/jul/18/janesville-women-enjoying-cross-country-volunteer-/ 


That night, my parents and Kate's parents, put together the most wonderful party in Kate's father's backyard. It was titled "NO PASTA ZONE!" which was amazing, because we sure do eat A LOT of pasta on this trip. Kate's dad and stepmom printed up NUS2010 tshirts and stationery for all of us and we had an absolute blast. We've all been wearing those shirts nonstop - an excellent addition to the minimal wardrobe we all have.The food couldn't be beat and many familiar faces showed up to cheer us on. My roommates from Madison also made an appearance! Thanks to everyone who made that night so, so, so special! 


After the party, it was early to bed and early to rise for a shorter (46 mile) bike ride into Madison. My mom wanted to make sure the ride was scenic, fun, and the least bit bumpy, so she contacted Janesville's local bike team and secured a great route for us to take into Madison. It was an awesome ride, especially because I got to ride alongside my boyfriend, John, and Kate got to enjoy a ride up with what seemed like her entire family. The more the merrier!


Madison was a whirlwind. I was so excited for the whole team to experience the place I've called home for the last five years. Many had never been to Madison, let alone the state of Wisconsin, so I was excited for them to get to see the terrace and roam around State Street. 


As soon as I got to Madison, I headed straight for my old apartment to enjoy a lovely evening cookout with my roommates and some of my best friends. It was so nice to sit on our wonderful porch and relax to good music and not think about biking for a moment. Thanks Megan, Rhysa, Gerri, and Alison for putting on such a lovely spread :) and Matt, Mike, and John for the great company. 


Later in the evening, I met back up with the whole Bike & Build crew who were enjoying the eve of our first day off at a Madison favorite: the Great Dane. The night was so much fun and it was so nice to not be in bed by 10 pm! 


Monday marked our first official day off. After sleeping in until 10:30 (remember, that's 4.5-5.5 hours past B&B normal wakeup time) , I enjoyed a nice brunch with John at Monty's Blue Plate Diner followed by a relaxing lunch with Megan at the terrace. Then, I strolled on over to my research lab where I will be returning for work in the fall to see my mouse colony. Ha, just kidding. No mice, but a lovely ice cream social with all the members of the Dove Lab. It was great to share my experience with them and know that they had all been reading my blog! 


Then! While others were at the terrace, John (who became my chauffeur for the weekend) drove me to visit my grandparents in Morrisonville. I was looking so forward to seeing them and my uncle and I spent a lovely afternoon relaxing on their porch drinking root beer floats.  I certainly know how to fill up an afternoon. 


Within the blink of an eye, my much anticipated long weekend in Janesville and Madison was coming to a close. After getting some delicious takeout, I went to bed around 9:30 so I would be well rested for our 2nd official century ride into Gays Mill, Wisconsin.


That ride was one of the best I've ever had. I had NO IDEA Wisconsin had such a beautiful Western side, full of rolling hills and verdant farmlands. The miles just flew by and before I knew it, we were in Gays Mills, Wisconsin.


The next two days, we had shorter mileage (63 & 65, respectively) into Onalaska and Pepin, Wisconsin (birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder!). As always, the food we had at our hosts was AMAZING and I stuffed myself to the brim. Furthermore, the scenery did not cease to disappoint and I got my fair share of riding with a variety of members of the team. Surprisingly, more are interested in my nerdy topics of interest, e.g. genetics and physics. Even though yesterday poured rain on us all day, it was actually nice to ride in cooler weather.


Today, we crossed another stateline into Minnesota. I'm a little sad to be leaving the lovely hills of Wisconsin, but I am also fond of Minnesota, so it's not a bad tradeoff. North Dakota will be a different story. Today was an 80 mile day and because of the hills, it took us most of the day to get to St. Paul. Additionally, during our lunch break, we decided to attack our sweeps today (Beth and Kelly) sniper style with water balloons. Quite the success, and boy were they drenched. We are all staying at homestays tonight, so I am writing this from the lovely Hansen home.


Tomorrow is another Build Day for us! I can't wait to have a day off the bike again - my knees are really starting to bother me. We will be working at two separate projects in the St. Paul area. When I'm not there, I'm hoping to see some of my relatives who all live near or in St. Paul. Should be a great weekend. Sorry for the lack of updates over the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment