Monday, June 28, 2010

I have ants in my pants! (Literally)

Today was a day of ups and downs - literally and figuratively.


I started off the morning waking up from some crazy nightmares - not a good way to start my day :(. As soon as I changed out of my pjs and into my spandex at 6 am, I had this severe pain shooting through my rear. I started getting nervous that maybe I had a little nerve damage or a twisted nerve and that I wouldn't be able to ride because I was literally unable to sit. 

So, I stood up and the pain didn't go away.  I reached down into my spandex to see if I maybe was starting to get saddle sores, but my bum seemed to feel fine. So then, I asked if one of my leaders would look at it (yeah, we're this close already). As I was waiting in line to go into the bathroom to check out my "condition" I reached into my shorts again and felt a hard little nugget near my chamois. I pulled it out, and what was it?! Fire ants! I literally had ants in my pants! I started screaming in the big room we were all in - "I have ants in my pants, I have ants in my pants!" and quickly ran over to my bin and ripped those babies off faster than I could say Mylanta. Anyway, that was an interesting start. So much for my modesty :/

Last night, it stormed in Rochester, VT (where we stayed at an old youth hostel owned by the avid cyclists) and I was hoping that the rain had come and gone. We started on the road around 7:30 am, and we had a fairly easy  first 5 miles. However, I was feeling pretty stiff from all that climbing we did yesterday. As soon as those five miles were over, it started to rain, right as we started climbing up what would be a 10 mile climb. OH MY GOSH WAS IT AWFUL!!jalskfjd;laksdjf;las

The rain started falling super hard and the climb went on forever and ever and ever. Then, as we were nearing the top (after 9 miles of straight uphill), this terrible wind started blowing directly in our faces. My shoes were so full of water that it literally felt like I was submerged in a little pond in each foot. I thought I was going to blow off my bike. About 100 yards from the top, me, Kate, and two of my leaders got off of our bikes and did a little rain dance to boost morale. I have to say, I was still pretty miserable. I just kept telling myself, "Sarah, this is more mental than physical, you can do it!"

Then, we hit the much anticipated top of the mountain and got ready for the descent. Normally, this is really fun because we can hit really high speeds and it's like a little break for our legs. The descent was 7 miles long with a 12% grade. However, with rain as hard as it was and wind so strong, I was terrified. I white knuckled my brakes so hard, my hands were literally in pain. Needless to say, we made it, and by the end, the rain had pretty much ceased. After that climb, we had a series of hills - I'm getting kind of used to them by now, but they still aren't fun, especially on sore and tired legs. Mentally, I was just kind of out of it.

We had lunch at mile 28 and that was where I had my turn around. I ate a solid lunch (I've learned my lesson) and hit the road again. The hills out of lunch were awful! I had to get off my bike and walk up one of them. Today, was kind of special, though. At mile 37, we had to board a ferry to take us across Lake Champlain (sp?) to get from Vermont to New York. That was a nice little rest for all of us. On the ferry, we listened to the "I'm on a boat" (SNL song). We all danced and hung out on the 20 minute ride. Way fun!

We had reached New York! Three states crossed in as many days! The last 15 miles, I kicked it into high gear. I decided to just power through those last hills and I surprisingly felt pretty good. I am now a huge fan of the Clif Shot Blocks and will definitely be picking some up when I get to Janesville. They are a huge burst of energy. 

We are staying in a YMCA in Silver Bay, NY tonight. The last 10 miles of today (53.1 in total) were awesome. Very hilly but we were surrounded by amazing scenery and passed through some pretty cool resort towns on the way to our destination. The leaders of the trip did a good job at keeping where we were staying tonight a secret. I knew it was a YMCA, but this YMCA is practically a high-end resort. We all have beds and individual rooms (well, two to a room) with sinks in the room and showers down the hall - this is pure luxury on this trip, you have no idea!! There is sailing, swimming, kayaking, tennis, archery, and never ending amounts of amazing food. The most amazing thing about all of this experience at the YMCA is that they are hosting us FREE OF CHARGE! Honestly, not a day goes by where we aren't blown away from the support we are receiving - both in hospitality and in words of encouragement.

 As soon as I got here, we all jumped in the lake and it was a blast! Then, I journaled a little bit on a dock and have just been enjoying myself. I am so tired and will probably be going to bed pretty soon. This is day two of a six day stretch of riding every day. I don't expect the hills to stop any time soon. We have our next (third) Build Day in Rochester, NY. The next day: only a 20 mile ride to Niagara Falls. Ahh, I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Until I blog again, night!

No comments:

Post a Comment