Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Welp, I spoke too soon.

Today was rough. 74 miles from Minot to Newtown, North Dakota against constant headwinds. It's safe to say I mentally 'bonked' when I couldn't help but start screaming at the wind during the last 10 mile stretch into the town. Not only was today windy, it was hilly! I'm okay with one or the other, but both!!!! compounded by the fact that there was minimal shoulder for most of the ride along Hwy 23 did not make me the happiest of campers. Regardless, we all arrived to Newtown High School safely and in a mostly timely fashion.

Today was a maildrop day - a very exciting day for B&B'ers - and it felt like Christmas for me! My energy (aka Clif bar, Shot Bloks) supply is back above empty and there really couldn't be better timing, as we are one day into our longest stretch of 11 straight days of riding. Not only did my wonderful parents give me a great care package, but I was also surprised to receive goodies from the Ryan's and a letter from my grandparents! Thank you all so, so much! You made my day :)

Tomorrow is our first camping experience, and we get to have it in Teddy Roosevelt National Park! It is so beautiful there, and I am so excited to sleep out under the vast expanse of Western sky. Tomorrow also marks our last riding day in North Dakota. I can't wait to see Montana (my second favorite state, after Wisconsin) by bicycle! Glacier is a mere 9 days away and I can't wait to see Kathryn, Neal, and the whole Park Cafe clan and have some AMAZING razzleberry pie. I'm salivating at the thought.

Here is a video taken by Minot's local news station at our build site yesterday:

http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_video.asp?news=42030

A picture to describe how many of us felt about our ride today.

No comments:

Post a Comment