Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why not Minot?

Prom was a huge success! Of all the proms I've been to, this one takes the cake for most fun had. Not only did we all dress to the nines in our finest Llama Prom-a apparel, but we also danced up a storm. I think by about 10:30 pm, we turned the gymnasium into a sauna. Below are a few pictures from before prom and during prom.

As I've probably said a few times in my blog, I was really dreading the rides through North Dakota. Having driven through the state a few times in recent past, it's not the most visually pleasing of all states. Given my disdain for driving through it, I was trying to mentally prepare myself for biking through it while also facing headwinds of up to 40 mph (as reported by riders from years past). However, I'm happy to report that I am already in Minot, North Dakota - approximately 3/4 of the way through the state and have enjoyed every second of every mile so far. We've had very little wind, the temperature has been perfect, and the conversations amongst fellow riders has been top-notch. This is one of the best groups of people I've ever had the privilege of getting to know, and I know this trip wouldn't be the same without even a single one of us not a part of it. I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but even if it is super windy as we make our way through Montana, I consider the four days we've spent in ND a real blessing.

Today was our second to last build day. We spent the first half of a day at a Habitat site building a shed. Once again, we had the delight of meeting the future homeowner and also were spoiled with a tremendous lunch provided by a recent Habitat home recipient. 32 people to build one shed is a bit overwhelming, so after lunch, half of us went to an assisted living home to pull weeds from the property. It was very relaxing and we accomplished a lot!  

Tomorrow, we head to Newtown, ND followed by our first night of camping in Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I can't wait!


Nolan, as a guido, asking out our very own Italian bombshell, Momgela.

Also, did I mention we biked almost 118 miles from Crookston, Minnesota to Devils Lake, North Dakota?! Talk about an epic day of riding! I was begging for a wheelchair at the end of the day.


Sam, the bounty hunter, and myself enjoying a night of slow dancing at prom. I just wish I had a little more bronzer and hot pink lipstick!


Llama Prom-a Royalty - 2010. Steven (in the khaki overalls, blue hat) was my date AND the Prom King!


Build Day (August 3rd) in Minot, ND

No comments:

Post a Comment